Kiwibot food delivery robot catches fire

Occurred: December 2018

Can you improve this page?
Share your insights with us

A Kiwibot food delivery robot caught fire on the UC Berkeley campus, resulting in it having to be doused in foam by the local fire department. No one was harmed.

The delivery service company later said it reckoned the fire was caused by human error after a faulty battery had been manually inserted into the robot.

Per The Verge, Kiwibot was launched in 2017, and its bots are designed to handle the last 300 meters of food deliveries. 

Operator: UC Berkeley
Developer: Kiwibot
Country: USA
Sector: Education; Transport/logistics
Purpose: Deliver food
Technology: Robotics
Issue: Safety

Page info
Type: Incident
Published: March 2023